Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Tough One

This is a difficult post for me. Even as I write it, I'm not sure if it's going to survive to see the light of day once I consider what I'm doing. I have really big ethical issues with it.

Here. Wikileaks.

Here's my beef: I consider Wikileaks to be profoundly irresponsible. I really, truly question whether they care at all about the lives of the people on the ground particularly Iraqis that cooperate with coalition forces. And judging from the "Collateral Murder" video, they are thrilled to interject editorial content into reporting.

And that makes me sick. It's one thing for a blogger to take a snarky look at the news and provide his or her own view while linking directly to the source. It's another thing altogether when the source itself has "MURDER" plastered all over it.

That said, this is a huge, huge amount of information. It's a massive amount of commentary on the ground from one of America's longest lasting wars. And it's available at the New York Times as you can see from the link above so it's certainly not unavailable.

I feel honestly troubled inadvertently supporting this organization.

But this is my job.

*Hits 'Publish Post'

No comments:

Post a Comment