Sunday, November 28, 2010

Poem for the Week

Photobucket

Daniel Bailey - "Field Mice"

This poem is about the God-awful joy experienced by field mice
when they consider their place in the genus Apodemus
and the incredible variety and incredible spread of their family
across the globe the field mice can do nothing but laugh hopelessly

which is an experience that I wish to someday recreate
if not in this poem then maybe in another poem that touches
the heart with something like a flower or a blossoming tongue
or maybe I could just sit in the dark and read to you

and I will call you "my little field mouse" because that joy lives within you
and sleeps inside your sleep where you dream of me, I hope
in a dream where someone has stolen your jacket and then you find it
you find it growing out of the blisters on your fingers from playing

too much baseball with your friends in the field where there are mice
and you try hard not to step on them in the outfield you try so hard

No comments:

Post a Comment