Monday, January 10, 2011

The Morning Blog

Well, this is a pretty depressing way to start off the morning. Here we have Islamo-fascism and not to be outdone, here's some Judeo-Fascism. I'm surprised Fred Phelps isn't doing anything this morning. It'd be nice to pull a religious trifecta.

The Basque separatist group, ETA, is calling for a permanent cease-fire with Spain. The Spanish government isn't buying it which based on their experiences, seems fairly sensible. I'm a bit out of my depth on this one unfortunately so if any clever readers feel moved to chime in I'd appreciate it. I understand the Basque opposition to fascist Spain rising out of the Civil War. But what's the beef with the post-Franco government? Does it all come down to demands for a separate Basque state or are there other issues at stake?

Yesterday, the Girlfriend and I made plans to watch Oliver Stone's propaganda piece "South of the Border". I'm still going to force myself to see it sooner or later. It's inappropriate for me to criticize what I haven't watched even if it does sound awful. Anyways, besides the evil American media cited by Stone in the film, other critics of the Chavez regime include...Well, pretty much all of South America with the exception of the Castro brothers.

However, to put things in perspective, at least Venezuela isn't Belarus, where the government is evidently preparing to start stealing opposition leaders children. Pretty chilling story to be honest. This long after the fall of Communism, it's amazing that this sort of thing still happens.

The international plague of reality television has now spread to India. I hold out hope for a cure but suspect that the only way to control this pestilential entertainment is quarantine.

“Bigg Boss,” which puts unlikely housemates under one roof for 14 weeks, has featured a former armed bandit (a woman), a seven-foot tall professional wrestler (a man), a steady stream of Bollywood starlets, a cross-dressing Pakistani television host and one famous import — Pamela Anderson, who did housework in a sarong and was almost subdued by comparison. “Bigg Boss” claims the largest audience of any reality show in India, with 114 million viewers here and 100 million more outside the country.

The New York Times details the strange behavior of Jared Loughner, the man accused of Saturday's mass murder. It's pretty clear that he's insane. Whether or not he's insane in a way that can be used as a defense, remains to be seen as FBI agents have gathered evidence of methodical planning. I will say though, that I feel as though his college behaved responsibly in regards to the 'warning signs' he was displaying: They alerted his close family and used the only incentives they could to get him to seek psychiatric help.

It would be a nice if the attack led to more civility in politics, I'd certainly be happy to see our leaders stop frothing at the mouth and behave like adults. I'd also like it if a flock of parakeets arrived at my door bearing krugerands but I'm not waiting up nights. That said, despite my loathing for her, I have to give Palin a pass on this one with the following caveat: I don't believe that her infamous gunsight map can be held accountable for the appalling actions of a deranged lunatic. That said, her response has been dreadful by any measurement. Even as they took the map down, some of her aides had the gall to insist that the crosshairs weren't...crosshairs. Rather they were surveyor symbols. Surveyor symbols!?!?!? You've got to be kidding me. I don't accept that the map caused Saturdays atrocity but at least have the decency to own up to publishing an image that is now widely considered to be offensive given the events.

It's going to be a nail biter for Pittsburgh this Saturday. I am cautiously optimistic and also very irritated because I'll be at work during the game.

Everything you ever needed to know about farm subsidies: "Free money is popular".

Today is the 148th birthday of the London Underground. Ironically enough, today Underground drivers announced they may go on strike during the royal wedding.

Gesundheit!

My submission will be: A man walked into a bar...It hurt.

Oh, what zippy fun was to be had!

No comments:

Post a Comment