Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Dead, Sue Edition

Nicholas Courtney, the longest serving actor on "Dr. Who" has died. He played Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart and appeared first in 1969, continuing to play the role for the next 30 years until his final appearance in the Arthurian themed "Battlefield".

His military character served as a counter to Dr. Who's pacifist though in the end, they came to respect each other on a professional basis as well as personally.

And now a tiny confession:

I consider myself a "Dr. Who" fan. That said, I haven't the slightest idea who Brgadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart was. No idea. Completely clueless.

Frankly, though I have fond childhood memories of the original versions, I can't say that I really became interested in the show until the more recent updates.

That said, I have to give respect where it's due. Mr. Courtney served a huge role in the creation of what has become a true pillar of the science fiction universe. So though I have to admit that I was previously ignorant of his role, I have to say that I already miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment