Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Wish I'd Said This

Jeffrey Goldberg sums up my feelings nicely:

For whatever reason, I tend to react strongly when a foreign leader disrespects the United States, and its President. I didn't like it when Hugo Chavez of Venezuela insulted President Bush; I don't like listening to Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan lecture the U.S. on its sins, and I'm not happy when certain Pakistani leaders gin-up righteous indignation about American behavior when it was their country that served as a refuge for the greatest mass murderer in American history.

And so I was similarly taken aback when I read a statement from Prime Minister Netanyahu yesterday that he "expects to hear a reaffirmation from President Obama of U.S. commitments made to Israel in 2004, which were overwhelmingly supported by both House of Congress."

So Netanyahu "expects" to hear this from the President of the United States? And if President Obama doesn't walk back the speech, what will Netanyahu do? Will he cut off Israeli military aid to the U.S.? Will he cease to fight for the U.S. in the United Nations, and in the many international forums that treat Israel as a pariah?

Shut up Bibi. Just shut the hell up.

As little as I like Obama (and I dislike him only marginally less than Bush the younger), I am appalled that the head of a country whose foreign policy is essentially underwritten by the guarantee of American military support has the nerve to come here expecting that we kowtow to him on this. It's unbelievable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment