Saturday, May 7, 2011

Your Tax Dollars at Work

The Guardian UK features an interview with a de-facto Englishman who is absolutely unhappy about that inconvenient fact.

Regardless of your position on immigration, I think it's important to consider the incredible expenses that must have been involved in deporting this man who was clearly, ruining the economy by stealing American DJing jobs.


Then we drove through LA to pick up others. When I saw people crying and kissing their families goodbye, it started to click that something serious was happening. I was put in a room with 75 men and six hours later handed a letter with a check box that read: deported for 10 years. I wasn't allowed to see a lawyer. I was driven to the airport and flown to a detention centre in New Mexico. The plane was pitch dark and my arms and legs were handcuffed. I wet myself trying to get to the toilet.

Otero County processing centre is a huge warehouse in the desert. I was shown my room: a 50-man dorm, with bunk beds lined along each wall, a security guard in one corner and five exposed toilets and showers in another. There were no windows, just the buzz of halogen lights and the sound of men from various different countries shouting, fighting and playing dominoes. Although I didn't know it at the time, this would be my home for the next three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment