Monday, June 20, 2011

The Morning Blog

In praise of beer. Makes good, solid sense to me. Looks as though if things keep going the way they've been going, we'll all have to do our part and drink our way out of this recession.

Last night I found myself watching the Miss American pageant (I don't recommend it by the way. Afterwards, I had horrible dreams involving centipedes and parking garages). One thing I found heartening about it though was that the winner called for the decriminalization of medical marijuana. It's a tiny step but nice to hear someone say something showing minimal common sense on that stage. I think we can agree that at the very least, we should let people suffering from cancer toke up if they want to. More arguments favoring decriminalization are available here.

Brazil continues its efforts to clean house prior to the upcoming World Cup and Summer Olympics. I'm glad that at least this time, when they called out their marines to invade a slum, it didn't turn into a tiny civil war. Honestly, there are plenty of reasons for Brazilians living in the slums to be angry. Case in point...

Afghan president Karzai bites the hand that feeds him and not surprisingly, gets slapped back. Frankly though, both Karzai and the US ambassador have points. Karzai is right to be angry about civilian casualties. Ambassador Eikenberry is certainly right to be angry about Afghan ingratitude. My solution is simple: We leave. That way Karzai won't have to worry about NATO accidentally striking a civilians home and we won't have to worry about what is or is not being done with the aid we provide. There. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Speaking of civilian deaths, I would argue that under the formulation of the Obama administration, this is clearly impossible inasmuch as the we're not involved in hostile actions in Libya.

Speaking of Obama, as a candidate he scathingly rebuked lobbyists and special interests thus:

"They write the checks and you get stuck with the bill," Obama said at the time. "They get the access while you get to write a letter. They think they own this government, but we're here today to take it back."

And went on to give 200 administration posts to big money donors or their spouses.

Guns don't kill people, cowboys kill people.

As do zombies.

The Supreme Court has blocked the class action suit against Wal-Mart. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I do agree that it's probably pretty difficult to establish that 1.6 million women working in different positions in different stores in different regions all over the country actually have similar enough experiences to qualify as a coherent "class". To be honest, I'm not even sure how they managed to get that many people to sign on for something like this. Were each of them actually interviewed to determine that they'd suffered some sort of discrimination on the job prior to signing on with the suit? That seems slightly impossible to me. At the same time though, I recognize that this ruling limits the power of class action suits generally. I'd be interested to know if the Court saw fit to give some guidance on at what point exactly, a class becomes too large to consider for this sort of thing. For example, what about this?

2012 Watch: The Republicans keep it classy. They're becoming a national embarrassment and simply can't be taken seriously. The fact that this sort of thing happened at a major event for them is simply unbelievable. Then again, this is the party that somehow had Donald Trump running as a candidate so I guess anything's possible.

2012 Watch, Latin American Edition: Poor Hugo Chavez. I see my least favorite dictator is feeling sickly. I would love to pretend that whatever the hell is wrong with him might reign in his increasingly autocratic reign over Venezuela. I would also love to pretend that Santa brings me presents. Either way, I'm not holding my breath.

Papers please. Somehow, the police are shocked that a man riding a bicycle wouldn't have the foresight to carry his drivers license, passport and birth certificate with him. It is important though to keep those sneaky foreigners out of the country. Everyone knows they're dangerously flammable.

While we're on the subject, here's more evidence that evil, scary Muslims want nothing more than to kill Americans.

Dancing machines.

Rags to riches. I expect this to be turned into a wacky sitcom in the next eight minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment