Friday, June 24, 2011

The Morning Blog

Well, this feels like deja vue. Here's Hilary Clinton arguing against a bill that would end funding for the blatantly illegal Libyan war:

Earlier this week Clinton said lawmakers were free to raise questions, but she asked, "Are you on Gadhafi's side, or are you on the side on the aspirations of the Libyan people and the international coalition that has been bringing them support?"

This is straight out of the Bush playbook. That's right kids; you're either with the President or with those that wish us harm. Never mind the Constitution. Never mind the law. Considering that Obama has done nothing (save ending torture), to roll back the security state and imperial executive established under Bush, I shouldn't even be surprised that they'd plagiarize their arguments. Fact is, in case after case, Obama has in fact expanded upon the unconstitutional practices of the Bush administration. Glenn Greenwald provides a helpful primer here.

Afghan civilians discuss their fears concerning the American withdrawal. Sadly, things look pretty bleak for quite a few people out in the provinces. However, I'm not sure what is expected of us here. Though I have no sympathy for Karzai, I sympathize with people out in the country who've just been trying to get by. Perhaps Afghans that aided Americans and face direct threats from the Taliban can be given Visas to come to the States? Outside of that, I don't know that there's much we can do for them.

You say 'tomato', I say 'tomahto'. For the Fun: Anyone interested in submitting a name can do so here. I'm a big fan of "72 Virgin Airways" myself.

Because things have been going so well for the country, Zimbabwe's military has announced that they'll make sure that Mugabe will remain in power indefinitely. From what I gather, their army considers their greatest threat to national security to be democracy.

I know I'm a day behind here but... So long Whitey. You will not be missed.

Inasmuch as I can't watch my beloved Steelers right now...

How often does one get to read a history of Argentinian, Jewish cowboys? Certainly it's a prouder tradition than that of white rappers.

How very cool!

How very cool, Part II! I sincerely believe that hundreds of years from now, archaeologists will refer to our time as the Lego Epoch.

This is a bit of positive news: The Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who revealed that he was an illegal immigrant is probably safe from being deported. He came to the United States at the age of 12 and was unable to become a citizen essentially due to bureaucracy. His story can be read here. The tragedy of course, is that hundreds of thousands of other people that have lived in this country and contributed to this country since they were children are still forced to go about their lives under the shadow of deportations to countries they barely know.

Good question. Personally, I don't think the planet could stand anymore of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment