Monday, November 8, 2010

The Dead

Charles Reynolds, 2004's Magician of the Year and one of the top 100 most influential people in magic in the 20th century has well, let's just say he's vanished...

Let's consider how awesome it is to have invented not one but TWO ways to make an elephant disappear? Or a method for sawing a woman in half with a rope?

Astonishingly, unlike that yelly embarrassment Cris Angel, he was able to accomplish all of this without resorting to leather pants or eyeliner.

Personally, I really like magic. I think it has a fascinating history, I love the contraptions, I love the concepts, I love the artistry. I still relish the memory of the first time I made a coin disappear.

That said, I think that a good way to describe the style Reynolds employed versus Angels screaming hoopla is this:

Reynolds appreciated that making an elephant disappear was sufficiently spectacular that he didn't feel the need to make himself a spectacle.

Here by the way, is the Pike Place magic shop:

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love Criss Angel and he's not yelly - he's relatively soft spoken. He's walked on water, fercrissakes! I have a feeling you like old magic. Criss is cutting edge.

    ReplyDelete