Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Been Kicking This About a Bit

It's been sitting in my to-do file in my bookmarks folder. Finally got the time to look over this article and comment on it.

Remember the days before the tiger blood fueled insanity that is Charlie Sheen? Remember when the only thing we had to warn our children of was the madness of Mel Gibson? Well, Vanity Fair naturally has an article up about the Road Warrior himself.

Honestly, in light of the Sheen-scapades it's frankly a bit sad.

Personally, I think that Charlie Sheen said some almost unspeakably dumb things. And then a smart person told him that he could take those dumb things viral. And now the B+ star of a mediocre television program is probably going to be carpet bombing our lives with t-shirts and mugs that say "WINNING!!" until the apocalypse.

Unlike Sheen's catchphrase, in the case of Gibson, I do not expect "Raped by a Pack of Niggers" to be appearing on t-shirts anytime soon.

It's a bit jarring when compared. I really think that what you have is an honest to God breakdown versus one that though it might have started out honestly, rapidly became a rather clever PR and marketing move.

I don''t think that I'm arguing that Gibson deserves any sympathy for his reprehensible quotes. I just point out that they are legitimately reprehensible. Unlike Sheen, I think that though abhorrent, they are at least, not stage managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment