Monday, March 7, 2011

Dying to Save a Life

A murderer on Oregon's death row pleads his case to determine what happens to his body in the New York Times Op-Ed pages:

If I donated all of my organs today, I could clear nearly 1 percent of my state’s organ waiting list. I am 37 years old and healthy; throwing my organs away after I am executed is nothing but a waste.

And yet the prison authority’s response to my latest appeal to donate was this: “The interests of the public and condemned inmates are best served by denying the petition.”

Many in the public, most inmates, and especially those who are dying for lack of a healthy organ, would certainly disagree. 

Hard to argue with that.

Equally, it's very hard to argue why on Earth a prison authority has any say in this matter what-so-ever. Precisely how does this impact the security of the other inmates?

No comments:

Post a Comment