Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Morning Blog

Even nerds have a nerdier subset. And today is their day.

On the subject of funny mathematics, the head of Afghanistan's central bank has fled the country and resigned his position. This follows his attempted investigation into corruption surrounding the collapse of Kabul Bank which was meant to fund government expenditures but was used mostly as a cookie jar for Afghanistan's rich and infamous. He definitely didn't get a golden parachute in leaving his job: His resignation is considered an "act of treason".

In other awkward news out of Afghanistan, these folks will be meeting with the United States and the Afghan government to hash out a road to peace. Should be zippy fun.

Sheesh! Reagan sure does have a lot of statues in Budapest. A new one will be unveiled featuring him wearing moccasins. Nothing says "presidential" like comfortable footwear. At any rate, I've certainly seen worse.

Blagojevich will finally be headed to prison. His hair was convicted of a misdemeanor and will only be subject to house arrest.

2012 Watch: Let's link to this article using a prophetic quote from Will Rogers: "The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected." In a related note, Bachmann keeps swinging for the fences when it comes to gaffes.

Hopefully, we'll have a pro-football season this year. Regardless, someone will be playing. Pretty amazing statistic from this article. One of these indoor teams beat another 138-0.

Samoa is well known for producing alarmingly good football players. Know what else they're good at? Time travel.

I was arguing with my cousin about this at some length yesterday. Here's a follow-up on the Supreme Courts decision to overturn California's ban on video games. I think the Court absolutely got this ruling correct. That said, I find it profoundly weird that I've been in agreement with Justice Scalia on two recent cases. Not something I would ever expect, to say the least.

And now, I find myself agreeing with Texas. Did I wake up in an alternate universe? I might have to go back to bed until this craziness stops.

This is very good news: Israel has backed off of its threat to punish international journalists covering news. Their position truly was indefensible. I'm glad they've come to their senses.

What we aren't saying.

Kacee Bait: Let's take a look at the corporate powerhouse that is Cheyenne, WY.

Seems a little doubtful. I always take prognostications with a grain of salt when the time frame amounts to "Long after I'm retired."

Anyways, why bother waiting up nights for the space aliens to descend when we've got so many unbelievably weird things scurrying about here already?

Could his title be Emperor of Edmonton?

One way to pay for the Libyan war: Spare change.

I suddenly feel much more positive about what I do for a living. It could most certainly be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment